CONCURRENT - ALEX CALDWELL & KATIE OHE

When Alex Caldwell sent us a video featuring the beautiful circling Monsoon sculptures by Katie Ohe we were at once enthralled! The connection can be made quite quickly with their sleek surfaces and minimalist forms, it sounds like the two of them have known each other for quite some time. It is great to see their works together in a single space. Come in and give Katie's work a spin, become hypnotized! 



Alex Caldwell

I have had the privilege of knowing Katie Ohe since 1981, after choosing sculpture as my major field of study at the Alberta College of Art and Design.  Katie taught second year fundamentals then and teaches there to this day. Her obvious talent, passion and attention to detail, has always been an inspiration to me and countless others. Her deep understanding of space, and the ability to work with metal of all types, coupled with her sensitivity to form has never ceased to amaze me. I am proud to in this show my work in conjunction with hers, she is a great friend.

Alex Caldwell, 7 Red Rings, 2013

Katie Ohe

I am a Calgary based artist. I work primarily as a sculptor.   My main focus has been to explore and develop kinetic/ participation/ installation sculpture.  My sculptures are idea driven. Ideas come from everyday experience. Sculptures "MONSOON", "WEEPING BEES", "TYPHOON", express my interest in how the eye perceives form, and space in motion.  Resting on the floor, each form and rotary system is unique.  When the forms are in rotary motion, optically, each displays a unique movement, and spatial relationship, that the mind and eye cannot immediately comprehend logically. The "objects" surfaces are smooth and tactile, inviting touch to set the sculptures in motion.  Color is integral to the essence of the idea.   The scale of each element of the sculpture is considered personable, friendly and approachable, provoking participation, a sense of play and communion.

I work with many media, however my preferred material is steel (welded).  I can purchase the material, as a pre-formed sheet, rod, pipe, elbow, dome etc.  The hardness of the material is important for the precision, and durability of the systems that allow the sculptures freedom of movement through touch.

Katie Ohe, Monsoon, 2005-2006

Comments