HAPPY SPECTRUM PORTRAIT MONDAY FROM MY MODERN MET



From My Modern Met: "Samuel Bradley's photos cannot be neatly categorized. Wonderfully offbeat and somewhat quirky, they truly span the spectrum. As he tells us, "I'm battling with two different ways of working and I don't know which one I prefer. I think most people follow my work and blog for the more quirky, interestingly processed and sometimes a bit 'cliché vintage' photographs. They're accessible to a wider audience, they don't require a lot of explanation and invite people to make their own assumptions and construct their own meanings."

He continues, "Then there's the other side of my work that I think I've only really just begun to explore. The more fine art approach, with a lot of research and context behind it. The whole process is a lot slower, nearly always shot on film, and with an intended meaning behind it which I try to put into words and present as part of the work. Less people follow me for these photographs, but I've been getting more feedback from blogs and zines I admire, and even a few features. I prefer making these kinds of photographs, to me they feel more real, more valuable. But I know that you have to be versatile. I'd like to have a recognizable style, but I'd also like to be available for a variety of jobs. A big trap I think photographers fall into is to pigeon-hole themselves. It works for some people if their work is strong enough but I'm not ready to do that yet."

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/beautifully-offbeat

Comments